Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Career Paths

My old job, or what ever one would call it was working for a family company that produced kosher, healthy, vegetarian frozen products. There was also a side business of importing hardware fixtures such as knobs and pulls. It wasn't so much a career as it was a way-station on my path towards adult hood. The hours were okay, on Fridays I was dismissed before 2 as to keep the company Kosher, and any single odd random obscure Jewish holiday was mandatory off time. What I did there, to put in laymans terms, sucked balls. I was an assistant to the President of the company, sounds really impressive, but keep in mind the entire office consisted of five or six people out of which two were not relations. When people asked me what I did for a living I told them professional bitch. All I heard all day long were the rantings and requests of an overgrown six year old.

He made me return pillows for him. He had bought pillows at Bed Bath and Beyond but took a trip where he stayed at a W hotel. He loved the plush luxury of their pillows and had to buy a set of overpriced bags of goose down to validate his position in life. I in turn had to drive 35 miles to the closest Bed Bath and Beyond store to return that which was un befitting of such a well off individual. I remember the frantic phone call I received from him while he was on vacation in Turkey (being that the owner of the company was his father if of course was a fully expensed as a business trip.)
"-t-."

"Yes..."

"I need a huge favor from you."

"What?"

"There's this hotel, its in the Hamptons I don't know the name. Its attached to a club the Cabana club or the Bananna club, something like that."

"Okay"

"I need you to find the hotel and book me and ____ two rooms for the weekend of August 19th."

"But you don't have the name."

"No but your a smart girl."

"I really don't understand how I'm supposed to do this."

"Hey listen this is a long distance call, I gotta run. Thanks so much."

Cut to me an hour later on the phone with a friend of mine who is fabulous enough for the Hamptons set. She wasn't familiar with the hotel but knew of the club, and was kind enough to give me the unlisted number.

"Hello ____ club how may I help you?"

"Hi, um....This is an odd request...uh...you guys are ... attached to a hotel right?"

"That's correct."

"Well, could you....I...can you tell me the name of the hotel please?"
There was a dead silence that led me to believe that the sheer idiocy of this question was validated.

Upon finding the name of the hotel, getting the number through Googling for the website, and waiting on hold for twenty minutes I found out that the hotel was booked for the next three months, and I should have known that because this was a prestigious hotel and the likes of myself could never afford such grandiosity unless I were sleeping with money.

All that said, at my new corporate proper job with my 401K and stock options, I spent the entire day finding proper driving directions to the Grand Hyatt in D.C. so that a superior wouldn't have to figure out how to use his onstar. At least my old boss understood his condescension.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Wow.. what people are like w/ money.

I used to work at a temp agency as a recruiter.. 5 or so ppl.. and you knew when you left the room they all talked about you cuz they did it to everyone else.. big open room.. it sucked. Meanest people I've ever worked with in my life.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home