Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Progress

I had on a suit that didn't belong to me and high heels that I had yet to grow accustomed to. I sat in the large office squinting a bit under that flattering corporate lighting, and looking around hoping to pick up a bit of the person I was to talk to. The recruiter had prepped me over the phone but his estimation of the man I was to meet was lacking in clarity. So I waited and I sat and he typed on the computer almost pretending as if I didn't exist.

"So, you were recommended by J-- B----- of the ____ group?"

"Yes."

"He's not the greatest man you know?"
I didn't know, I never met him, I only had received a phone call at work one day asking if I was happy in my current employment situation.

"Oh?"

"Yeah he usually sends me dead-beats and thieves, no offense."

"None taken."
What was I supposed to say? "Well which one does that make me?"

"But you seem solid, graduated honors, 3.86 GPA. Is there any reason you attended a public university?"
(Yeah I wanted forgo resume strength in order to obtain a sub-par education.)

"I put myself through college and I didn't want outstanding loans when I graduated. I plan to get a Masters at some point and I figure I'll go into debt then."

"You know we have an extensive tuition re-imbursement program. It's a full ride, and there are no contracts that you need to sign afterwards..."

I was shocked, was he offering me an education, an expensive education in return for donning the grey and neutral office gear and pretending to be an adult?!

"You would just need your managers approval and I'll be your manager, did I tell you how I worked and put myself through school for an MBA? I liked it so much I taught nights there after I had graduated."

Wow this was going great, twenty minutes into my interview I already had school paid for and knew some personal stuff about this man as well.

"Yes, that's what I did, I'll be happy to approve your tuition as long as its in a business related program."

Cue the record scratching sound effect, I wanted a masters in English or journalism not numbers or tactics.

The interview ended and I took the train back to my mothers. I explained to her about how the job offered better benefits, better pay and a better location then my current employment. She was happy for me. Offhandedly I threw in the part about paying for an MBA, and I thought I was going to have to bury her in an early grave.

"My baby's going to get an MBA?! I'm so proud of you, I knew you had potential, you went through some hard times... I always believed you would pull it off... Look at you, you're all grown up... You are so smart, don't you ever forget it...."

It was too much for her, coming from a family where the majority of the daughters went to college as a hobby or as a method to finding a husband. The old Italian mentality dies hard. But me, I was going to be something, I was going to be a professional with a high level of education. I was going to be a provider, a doer, an accomplished individual.

Cut to me 12 months later sliding the papers over to my boss. NYU acceptance and program registration, I was on my way all I needed was a signature and I was going to jump in, no more wavering back and forth.

"What is this?"

"Um...papers for school, I need you to approve them so I can submit them to Accounts Payable."

"NYU huh?"

"Yes, I'm enrolled in their evening program."

"I'll have to take a look at these. I'll get back to you."

That was four months ago.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Did he just not approve them? I was thinking.. if the courses were in the related field.. and that got you enrolled, couldn't you still take electives of what you wanted? Just curious..

4:22 PM  
Blogger selling my soul said...

Its not that he never approved it he just kind of pushed it the side and hoped I would forget.

PS. Good to see you back

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home