Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Sometimes Life isn't fair (aka how Jersey City fucked me in the ass without any Lube)

No work posts today, I was out sick yesterday. Sick with a bout of family togetherness. Sunday my dad took me on a three hour ride to some gated community in Connecticut to look at a house he was interested in buying. Being hung over and exhausted I wasn't fully prepared for some
bi-polar bonding time. When dad and I get together if either of us is off we throw the other one into a tail spin. He's at the point where he's taking some sort of twisted inventory of his life, telling me about my grandparents impending death, his own mortality and my inability to become a "functional adult." It was trying to say the least.

After spending several hours with a balding realtor, who was wearing (I kid you not) a tweed sports coat and ill fitting khaki slacks. He seemed nice enough but to be honest I don't like being fed a pitch for three hours at a time. I was completely uninterested in said property, it truly reminded me of one of those retirements villages that old people purchase into so they may enjoy the twilight of their lives. I mean what am I going to do with a shuffle board court? I spoke my concerns and in a true bit of bi-polar rationality dad looked at me and said.

"I don't care what you say I'm buying a place here , the only question I'm asking you is if I should get a place large enough to accommodate the family?"

Now this logic would make sense if this was my dad's money. The funding for said weekend house is coming directly from the sale of our beach front property which I wrote about in early December. The money belongs to the family, not my dad. But do as he does and let no one stop him I conceded that he should buy the large property.

Fully drained I returned home to the sweet comfort on Vicodin and gently drifted off into my drug sleep.

I awoke the next morning with a tickle in my throat and a low grade fever. The hangover coupled with the stress and prescription pills had weakened by immune system and made me ill. I called out and proceeded to work from home, logging into the company system and making my business calls from my personal cell phone.

I moved the car sometime around 12:00PM to get some cold medicine from the nearest drugstore and didn't return to park until about 2PM. When Rob got home he informed me that there was a ticket and a boot on the car. I called the parking authority to clarify that the agent had made a mistake. My car couldn't have been originally spotted at 1:07PM because I was driving around looking for an open drugstore. They requested a copy of my purchase receipt, which honestly do you keep every receipt under the fear that "Big Brother" will question your actions? I have a court date for February 13th, but my car will be towed tomorrow if I don't pay the ticket. So in all honesty that "innocent until proven guilty" thing only applies to you if commit a real crime. For people who may park uneven in the municipality of Jersey City, run by renegade parking attendants (probably embittered because they are not allowed to carry weapons, or serve any real purpose in the community) you are guilty across the board. Sure you can fight your ticket, but you will loose use of your car until the court date comes up. And even if you are proven not guilty you still have to pay the towing fees for your vehicle.

The only way to avoid this situation is to meticulously catalog your every movement and action for the day. Have written proof that you where you claim to be. Know that criminal rights only extend to murders and rapists, thieves and wife beaters. You my friend are a motorist with no rights what so ever. Anyone know a good documentary crew that can follow me around capturing on video any movements I may make in case this every happens again?

I paid the ticket this morning and tonight I will pay the de-booting fine. Well I'll pay but Rob has to do it because if I see anyone I dealt with yesterday I'll sacrifice my freedom for some sweet, sweet vengeance.


*Edit*
My boss is now insisting that I mark the day as an absence because I didn't notify him 24 hours in advance of the day off. Though I worked all day from home and even made calls that will be charged to my personal cell phone. He is insisting that I should have known shit would flow backwars into my tub. What a nice guy he is.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Devylish said...

I think we should 'off' your boss.. I hate him for you.. and parking people are just mean mean mean.. sorry dear!

9:07 PM  
Blogger selling my soul said...

And slightly corrupt too.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home