Friday, January 06, 2006

The Stalls

I have to admit I'm not a very shy person. Sure, take me to a party I'll cling to you for dear life but after a glass of wine or two I'm with four new best friends discussing all sorts of personal details that I probably should keep to myself. I'm not bashful about my sex life, and am a very forward thinking, open minded individual (or so I'd like to believe.) You don't find me cringing in the corner when people discuss conversations "not fit for the dinner table." But one thing I can't adapt to in the bathroom stalls in the office.

Work is not like high school or college where there are so many people you can blend into the crowd. Each group is sub divided into their respective functions and are seated accordingly, which means that I sit among those I work with (makes sense doesn't it?) In the learning institutions one can bounce around groups of friends, from class room to class room and use the facilities whenever and where ever needed. If you enter one bathroom you're not necessarily going to see anyone you know, no less anyone at all. At work there is one bathroom near your area shared by all your same sex co-workers, each of whose names you know and daily interactions you depend on. This for me creates an issue.

Our bathrooms at work consist of four stalls, separated like any public rest room, i.e. a pieces for plexi glass not extending all the way to the floor with swinging doors that latch by turning a small knob from the inside. This construction is not conducive to privacy, your feet show through the bottom and small spaces where the door hinges allow anyone curious enough a view of who is inside. To pee in one of these is daunting enough. I sit knowing full well when anyone else is in the bathroom with me. I can recognize some by their shoes or their pant cuffs and have had the pleasure of experiencing the worst way of knowing when someone I work with has had asparagus for lunch. People socialize by the sinks, doing their makeup or brushing their hair. Some bring cell phones in the bathroom to have conversations that they don't want bosses to hear. Others brush their teeth after lunch ( a habit I should look into but know that I never will.) This makes using the facilities even more difficult for me, I have a shy bladder and have held in for more then five minutes while co-workers discuss niceties while using the toilet.

The last job I held, though dismal and dead ended had private bathrooms. There were so few people in the office that a stall situation wasn't needed. There were two private bathrooms with magazines and air freshener and fan vents that one could use at their discretion. I was still a bit horrified to enter said bathroom to find a lingering odor from the previous occupant. But here and now without such luxuries I am stuck. Yesterday was perhaps the worst. After being ill for a few days my stomach (let me put this delicately) was not right. Two days of consuming nothing but chicken broth, saltine crackers and Gatorade I had become a delicate flower succumbing to foods that I would have normally enjoyed heartily.

The overwhelming sensation of need overcame my shyness and I ran to the bathroom praying that I would find it empty. Lo and behold there it was, so precious and beautiful, the bathroom was completely abandoned and with great joy I made a mad dash for the last stall where I proceeded to, well do I have to say it? Just then a noise, heels clicking on the polished marble flooring. I strained to listen, tracking the noise, hoping that they would pass down the hall. They stopped, I panicked, the door clicked, I struggled and flushed.

Long story short, I sat in the bathroom for 15 minutes waiting for the stream of women coming in and going out to cease. I sweated a bit and pulled legs up hoping no one would recognize my shoes. I flushed several times but never left the stall. Once the traffic had ceased and I again had the bathroom to myself I finished and slunk out and slipped into my workstation hoping that no one a figured me out. I can't keep this up, I need a plan of action, I need a private bathroom. We are not animals, we should not be forced to perform our natural bodily functions in a group setting. Please some one let me know I'm not alone on this one.

5 Comments:

Blogger J said...

funny. reminds me of this postsecret entry: http://jispot.blogspot.com/2005/06/introducing-postsecret.html

7:08 PM  
Blogger J said...

coincidentally, i just read this now too. yeah, so you're def. not alone. i was going to write about something similar but now, i don't know. i'll look like a johnny come-lately. http://living-in-chinese-gitmo.blogspot.com/2006/01/sleep-deprivation-and-aftermath-of.html

7:37 PM  
Blogger DrinkingTea said...

You are not alone.

Here are a few posts I've written on similar things:

http://drinkingtea.blogspot.com/2004/06/why-i-am-dehydrated.html
http://drinkingtea.blogspot.com/2005/01/mad-shitter-explained-telemarketing.html
http://drinkingtea.blogspot.com/2005/10/poopoo-escape-dance.html

10:26 AM  
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Girl.. I'm so sorry! No, you're not alone. I so have bathroom issues. My best friend and I bonded over this too. What is WITH the spaces between the doors? Do they not know to make them closer? Why do people INSIST on peeking in?? What is UP w/ that?? I wish we all had private bathrooms tho.. wow.. that would be lovely!

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T,

I just wanted to say I enjoy reading your blog. Keep it coming!

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home