Thursday, January 05, 2006

It's Been Awhile

I apologize for not updating recently. But seeing as how those of you who stop by don't comment I'm not too remorseful.

A new year a new chance. If you do read this on a semi regular basis please let me know how to make it more interesting, more captivating, funnier, prettier...Gosh I feel like I'm back in Middle School. Accept me, validate me, let me find in with the cool kids who pretend to smoke after school but really hold the smoke in their mouths pushing out with each breath instead of accepting the cancerous particles like an adult would.

I got sick on New Years, well I felt ill the night before and tried to take it easy. I did so well all New Years eve day, laying low and staying calm. I got dressed and Rob and I made a dash to his parents house where we played scrabble, (I won, never play scrabble with an English major unless you're a sucka for pain,) watched 'Top Hat' (ah self aggrandizing actors and the like I personally think Fred Astaire, while entertaining can become a little crating after an hour or so,) and watched his mom go bat shit trying to set out a dinner for guests who would wind up not really eating at all.

On a side note, I am deathly allergic to shellfish. This being an allergy that I developed late in life I know what it's like to taste the wonderful flavors of shrimp, clams, oysters, mussels, and lobster. ( oh god lobster, if you had asked me my favorite food 5 or 6 years ago I would have said lobster. I loved it even as a child when my friends taunted me for eating something that resembled an over grown cockroach.) Every time Rob's mother makes a large dinner she makes some sort of shellfish, like she doesn't remember it will kill me. True her son in law is a staunch fishetarian (a vegetarian who eats fish, I made the word up, so sue me) and she tries to accommodate him, but she never makes fish (which I can eat.) No it's always shrimp this and shrimp that and mussels or crab cakes, I think the woman may want me dead. Now before you judge me and say so just don't eat it, mind you that I am so allergic that if any prepared food touches a spoon that touched shellfish I swell to the size of Star Jones, pre surgery (I don't care what she claims there's some staples in that stomach.) So I wind up eating first or not at all.
Okay griping done.

Sometime after 6 I started to feel real nasty and had to lie down, finding bursts of energy among the night to get up and say hello to guests before retreating to my cave under the blankets of Rob's old bed. Hours past and 12AM loomed near, the party got dressed to go to the park and celebrate in usual style under the fireworks in Central Park by the rock near Belvedere Castle .
It's kind of a cute ritual, they all get the stupidest hats they can find, and not the paper/plastic hats everyone wears, and traipse into the park, champange bottles in hand, ready to ring in the new year among friends, family and loved ones.

This was to be the first year I would be with them seeing as last New Years there was strife between Rob and I (there was another party involved, and no it wasn't my fault) and both he and I really wanted me to be there. His friend Jake even made it a point to tell me how great it would be if I could get the strength. So with will and determination I stood up and bravely made it all the way to the couch. I couldn't do it and Rob was torn. He wanted to be with me, he wanted to be with his friends and family, he was a broken man, so I made the decision for him and promptly kicked him out of the house sniffling and wiping my tears before he could see.

I could have been with my mom, but if I couldn't find the strength to sit upright on the toilet how was I to make it 15 blocks to her house. Besides her immune system is a bit compromised so why ring in the new year by getting her ill? I wasn't the only one who spent the New Year on the couch (both mom and sis rang it in watching T.V. and eating take out) however I was completely alone. Just me and "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve. " So between the flu, the sight of a stroke addled Dick Clark and what appeared to be the drag queen that ate Mariah Carey, it was a completely depressing New Year. On the bright side if New Years Eve is the best time of your year, well you've got nothing to look forward to, here's to better tomorrows!

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Aw baby.. I'm so sorry you were so ill. I didn't get to spend it w/ my boy either.. and the night I began recovering from the flu last Friday, we broke up anyway. So, I know this doesn't make you feel better for then, but you know.. I got it too. Bleh.. very sorry sweetie. Hope you're on the mend by now!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home