Thursday, November 17, 2005

Plan ahead

The department is moving tomorrow, moving to a different office in a different building. I have been placed in charge of this assignment, well I was in charge until it was ripped out of my hands and given to a woman who "needed something to do." Even though I protested it was to no avail, I work for a foreign bank and if your country of origin happens to be the same as the banks then yay for you! Because of this I take no responsibility for any work that has not been done this far, however others still believe me to be responsible. This means that if the project goes poorly (and it has thus far) I get the shit. If it goes well, I don't get the credit where it counts and its bonus time so it really counts.

I have taken some of the stupidest requests from the minds of people who are considered "luminaries" in their fields. To me they are just out of touch children who need the occasional spanking and ass wiping. I have gotten their dollars back from the big bad vending machine that gave them peanut M&M's when they specifically pushed the buttons for plain ones, (this situation had nothing to do with the fact that said managers fingers are the size of sausages because of those M&M's and the buttons on the machine are on the small size.) I have wrapped personal photographs taken at lavish locations on resorts that are designed to reflect nothing about the countries they may have been taken in, the Bahamas, US Virgin Islands, Turk and Caicos, they all look the same from the lounge chairs of immaculate beaches devoid of any culture or personality. I have bought with my own money, plastic forks and spoons because facilities did not provide said necessities and with the amount of complaints about this one would think that plastic forks and spoons cure cancer. But today, one day before we move, today is the day that the important requests start flowing.

"-t-, we need a room for the FED for 18 days.."

"All the un occupied rooms have no furniture."

"Then have them order some."

"It takes 6 weeks to get here."

"Then have them priority it."


"-t- I need you to book three hotel rooms for Monday in midtown."

"But it's thanksgiving week I don't think that I can find vacant rooms in Manhattan during thanksgiving week."

"Call around find them."

I sat in a bathroom stall and cried for four minutes today, I didn't want to stay for five because then I would have been gone too long. I pulled my legs up and propped my feet against the door so that they wouldn't show through the bottom opening of the stall. I've become a cliche, I'm overworked, underpaid and not getting what I deserve. I thought I did this for a reason, but I'm not so sure. I feel like a greyhound chasing those mechanical rabbits they run along the track to encourage the race. I'm tired of stretching and pushing myself trying to reach it, extending my fingers to their last joint hoping that I can touch it. I used give myself some credit thinking that if I wanted it bad enough it would happen. I've sold my soul and I don't have anything to show in return. At least the greyhound gets a wreath of flowers and permission to bone the pick of the litter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Ahh honey.. I hope it gets better soon!!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home