Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A voice for the masses

I am stuck in an interesting position, I am halfway between management and the common worker. Please don't mistake me for actually being a manager, its just that in my position I work close enough with them to have a good grasp on the manipulation tactics that someone with out such exposure to the "elite" may not have. I know how to stroke an ego, and placate a bullshit need. I can gaze deep into their eyes without flinching or looking at the floor because really they don't scare as much as they should. I attribute this lack of fear to one factor, I am not yet a real adult. Okay I have rent and bills, car insurance and such, but when it all comes down to it I support me, only me and no one else. I have no children who need my source of income to be assured a well developed and normal life. I have no spouse at home waiting for my paycheck so we can stock up at costco. Its me and me alone. If I loose my job, then I'll find another one, they're not as rare as the Wall Street Journal wants you to believe. And hey, if it gets really bad I can go back to bartending and Go-Go dancing at night clubs, sure the work sucked but I think I was making more back then in my "shameful" profession then I am now as an upstanding member of society.

All that said, I voice my opinion without hesitation on a regular basis. With some management I have found a soft spot, being a young attractive girl who can flirt without coming off as being aggressive they tolerate my bizarre requests and strange actions (making faces at them though the frosted glass doors of their offices seems to have humored more people then I thought.) Others view me as a daughter figure, I am the youngest person in the entire building then second youngest being a good four or five years my senior. I however have the distinction of being known. Everyone knows my name, everyone knows my face. Why, because I'm not shy, I'm loud and abrasive and will tackle an issue no matter how dangerous the topic may be.

We were told to come into work on Sunday, the company had just moved and we were told we should show up to test the systems and begin unpacking. A good amount of people showed up, some brought their family some brought no one (I belong to the latter group. If I've learned one thing in this place it's that privacy is the only way to survive.) We worked (kind of) and tested and left and those who were applicable put in for a comp day earned. I believe that this was rightfully so, they worked on a Sunday, and though it may have not been a true had days worth of work, people had to put their weekend plans on hold to travel to the office to check systems. They were denied, and not by HR but by our manager, a man who decided not to show up but to have me call him on his cell phone while I checked his systems as well as mine. He denied every single person, no comp days no credit, and there was an outrage. I called him on it. I told him it was wrong. I was denied, and this time I didn't want to just go with the flow. That said I have an interview on the 1st. If anyone out there knows of any job openings where a conscience and a sense of humanity is valued drop me a line. I can't sell out like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home