Monday, June 12, 2006

Update

Driving 10 mph in stop and go traffic I'm stuck behind an SUV while rob and the puppy nap in the passenger seat. Its Saturday and we've decided to take a road trip to my father's new Connecticut house. The change of scenery has done mew good as I contemplate my upcoming change of career. A week ago Thursday I had given my formal resignation in letter form that I had googled and edited. The letter itself was quite complementary and had given my boss an ego boost he sorely didn't need.

Looking forward to the advertising job I was due to start the following week. Working in a small boutique company, one that catered more to my skill set made me nervous with anticipation and self doubt. It has been so long since I've been able to be creative on the job. Well if you don't count all the lying to my boss that's occurred over the past 2 years.

I glance over at Rob sleeping knowing that he as a teacher gets almost 3 months vacation during the summer months. I realize how much I miss that luxury and I'm sure I will never enjoy it again. I face the road knowing that as a semi-adult there are a multitude of such luxuries I've chosen to give up. The large SUV looms ahead and I have issues seeing the road in front.

A traffic light turns red and I pull to a stop behind the SUV. All this time alone in my head is making me a bit crazy and I poke Rob with my finger tip hoping it will jar him awake. No such luck. The light turns green and the SUV pulls ahead. I in turn step on the gas and follow suit. Then out of nowhere the SUV jams on its brakes coming to a complete stop. I attempt to stop in time but no such luck. Traveling at the high speed of fifteen MPH I rear end the SUV. Rob wakes up in shock and holds the puppy tight to his chest. I wince as we make impact and drop my head in disgust as the radiator in my 99 Dodge Neon pops.

The driver of the SUV, a Hispanic woman in her mid thirties jumps out of the driver side door to make sure everyone is okay. We are, but before we can swap insurance info, she's back in her car and pulling away from the scene. I stare at the back of her vehicle as it pulls away noticing only a tiny ding in her muffler. I turn to survey my damage. The hood of my car has buckled and the radiator is hemorrhaging coolant all over the street.

I pull the car into a parking lot and wait for AAA. The car was on its way out anyway. The head gasket had busted 400 miles ago, but I was hoping I could push the poor thing through the summer. The 500 dollars I had just sunk into new tires didn't make this any better.

My car in shambles and my life on an upswing I sat on the curb and waited for the tow truck. The unusually cold June day made me grasp the sides of my jacket together and shiver a bit in the breeze. Always look forward never sideways or back. You never know when you're going to smash head front into something different.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Oh girl! I certainly hope the new job is great. You're going to be fine! And I'm awfully glad you, the boy and pup are all undamaged from the car accident. I'm hoping the other driver taking off is a good thing? Oh if I had $20 to my name, you'd have it chica.. honest!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home