Thursday, May 04, 2006

Cracked

It happened yesterday, at 10AM in the morning to be precise. I'm not sure of the events that transpired prior to the catastrophe but I witnessed the rubble left by the event.

I was informed early in the morning about the resignation of an individual who had started with the company about seven months ago. He came to us from a bigger firm and was guaranteed this huge bonus to secure his employment. His huge bonus was not originally allocated in the financials and because of this many people saw significant reductions in the amounts they were to receive. He quit two months after his payout and left a project in midstream leaving his coworkers scrambling to try and make things work on their own. He is returning to his first company with a bigger title and salary then when he left.

I took a call at 10AM, the voice belonged to an old supervisor who wanted to know if anyone from my group would be calling in to her NYSE conference. This was not my issue so I walked the corridor and pulled open bosses' door. Sitting across from his desk were two directors from other departments and a consultant who would soon be departing back to France.

"Um...The NYSE conference, it's not my thing, were you going to call in for this. I think its a matter for your attention."

At this his face turned red and he lifted his two aging hands to cover his face and he sat like that for at least forty seconds. I waited, not saying a word and casting furtive glances over to the other people in the room to see if they too were seeing what I was. Eventually his removed the hands from his face and I saw his eyes water.

"Tell her, I'll call into the conference in two minutes."

His voice was strained and cracked several times during this brief statement. I pretended I hadn't seen anything and rushed back to my desk to place the call. The visitors left his office and once the door was closed I could distinctly see through the frosted glass his head on the desk in complete defeat.

Its hard to harbor hate towards someone in their time of weakness. And seeing your boss in a very human position changes your perspective. It's like when you were in middle school and you saw a teacher on the weekend in a store. You always kind of assumed that they didn't exist on Saturday and Sunday, but to acknowledge their human existence made it just a bit harder to act up in class. Not that I act up now, just...Well...Things change.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Well.. Jesus.. what happened girl? Did he tell you? Did someone die? Curiosity over here.. going mad! ;)

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home