Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sub-Par

Never so much as now in the desperate heat of the city has my pay cut affected my life.

Acting like the fool hearted optimist I am I surrendered a portion of my cushy corporate paycheck to come clean conference rooms in the exciting world of advertising. Saying good-bye to not only my over inflated salary but overtime and year end bonus as well. Watching my electric bills increase as I watch my paycheck decrease has not been easy on me. Adding to this that I now work with "stylish" ladies and "cosmo" girls who dress like everyday is a new chance to strut down the sizzling, urine soaked streets as they dash to the hottest new bar for $14 dollar fluorescent martinis.

I have never been one to pay more then 50 dollars for a pair of good shoes, (and for 50 bucks they better feel like mattresses and make my calves look thin and toned!) The concept of haute couture is for underfed models and over exposed actresses, not an underpaid, overworked account coordinator (which in ad speak mean secretary.) And yet I come to the office every day with my street fair purse to gawk at the LV logos slung across shoulders (as ubiquitous as graffiti in a subway tunnel in this fine city) and Manolo spikes hobbling feet. Its enough to make one question their proper place in the world. At the bank I was surrounded by men in dockers and Asian women with china-town knockoffs that could rival any original piece. Here in the land of appearances you can best be sure that no knockoff will go un-scorned.

I remember reading somewhere to dress for the position you want, not the position you have. Well thanks to my measly wages and my inability to forgo luxuries like electricity and food I will have to make do with the options in my price range. However I think I'm sending the message that I'm perfectly happy serving as a professional whipping girl and that scares me a bit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can definitely relate to you. I'm thisclose to screwing this whole "functional member of society" nonsense and oining the circus. At least it'll make for good writing material.

3:45 AM  
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

I always wonder how the women in downtown - and young girls for that matter - afford all these louis vuitton bags and coach shoes, etc.. they're excessive in price and it just surprises me people have that kind of money to burn. I certainly don't and got my last 3 pairs of shoes at Mervyn's for $20 or under!

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home